First C3 Vette and luvin it :)

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
You should look a what the GM specs are to see if they also had one valve much larger diameter as the other
Blue line 1 put are the same length so easy to see the difference in size

Should measure the valve face, if stock intake is 1.94 and exhaust is 1.5 ?

valves.jpg

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Here is GM specs for 1972 C3 small block
Does the kit you're getting what ratio are they, being stock is 1.5.0 maybe go with 1.7 ?

Look at label D for both inlet and exhaust below here for valve face diameter
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ..................----------------------------------------------------------------------------

72specsb.jpg72specs.jpg

Last edited:

Waynio

CCCUK Member
Yep. Just popped out and measured. IN is 1.942 and EX is 1.502 diameter of.valve heads.

I have yet to choose a cam. Just finding specs of it as it is now.

Waynio

CCCUK Member
Try this way

I already have new set of hyd flat lifters.
Ans will be using the Quad Carn i have. I'll juat clean strip tune.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
If buying that set of heads better do it soon as it states only 1 set left in stock

What about pushrods, and rockers ?
New bolts for heads, intake and headers
Also heads, intake, header, and carb gaskets
and gasket if needed for belling housing, new pilot bushing for flywheel. New U-joints for driveshaft

You have a tool like shows on Jegs to pull out and insert the CAM correctly ?
Or a CAM degree wheel, so knowing if installing CAM straight up, or you're degreeing it ?
Lube to use on CAM when installing

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Ok after a bit of advice and research here is a shopping list

Cant decide on a clutch yet.

As to a complete clutch replacement

I and many others go to for decades as they do not just sell, but they also make these
McLeod Racing

They make clutches kits, pressure plates, stock or lightweight flywheels, I had them make me a super lightweight one that was only 7 pounds
They have street, Pro and extreme clutch models

They have single or multi disc clutches,
Here is for 1972 C3s

Here are the flywheels

Waynio

CCCUK Member
If buying that set of heads better do it soon as it states only 1 set left in stock

What about pushrods, and rockers ?
New bolts for heads, intake and headers
Also heads, intake, header, and carb gaskets
and gasket if needed for belling housing, new pilot bushing for flywheel. New U-joints for driveshaft

You have a tool like shows on Jegs to pull out and insert the CAM correctly ?
Or a CAM degree wheel, so knowing if installing CAM straight up, or you're degreeing it ?
Lube to use on CAM when installing

All i am trying to work out is the kit to get. All the other bits are easy to work out what buy.

I have seen these heads and also been told these will be good or better / livelier for a street car, more if i swap the 2.72 diff for a 3.73. but thats a future thing. I just wnat to get all the gear together for a couple week off this Christmas and get stuck in.

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
All i am trying to work out is the kit to get. All the other bits are easy to work out what buy.

I have seen these heads and also been told these will be good or better / livelier for a street car, more if i swap the 2.72 diff for a 3.73. but thats a future thing. I just wnat to get all the gear together for a couple week off this Christmas and get stuck in.

I can see you mean business wanio! Got stuck in there straight away, did you get caught out without the plastic bag over the gearbox tailshaft housing to catch that verrry smellly oil 😵‍💫🤣
Looking forward to following this build 👍I will go out to the vette room in a bit and see what comp cam , lifters etc and inlet manifold went on my engine build in the states. . Good work 👍

Mad4slalom

Well-known user
Just looked at the engine rebuild report, mine was a 4 bolt main block , had a rebore to 356 cu inches, iron heads with 2.02 / 1.94 valves . Flat top pistons giving 9.75/1 compression.
Aluminuum performance inlet manifold , and holley 650 d. Pumper carb.
Comp cams 12/246-3 grind xe274 h -10.
Giving 355-365 hp at 5500rpm and 385 ft pounds of torque at4200rpm. Re worked oil pump . So not too expensive a build but gives a nice street motor. 👍

Waynio

CCCUK Member
As oi have ordered the parts i need and waiting in hope they arrive This weeks jobs was finish the lift i have been making.
As i need to make life easier i wanted to get it to a decent height. in this case 85cm to bottom of wheel height.
Hardest faff was getting it to 50cm to get it ot the lift. But my god it works a treat and easy

I have a couple air jacks of 3ton each. made some air lines up to use them independently.

Some folk think i am mental but hey ho. It works nice and easy. I love to make stuff so a project in itself.

20240913-180120.jpg

So now i have easey access to the wheel arches and can sit on my chair underneath nice and comfy and saved a LOT of money.

I set up the two compressors to run inline for more capacity.

20240913-161207.jpg

I jacked the rear first and front in sections to get it to the 50cm with a jacking beam, or a length of RHS.

20240919-204222.jpg

20240919-204822.jpg

20240920-144958.jpg

20240920-165058.jpg

20240920-170540.jpg

20240920-170600.jpg

Now to me these are safer than axles stands where some folk think different. But while under a car i would rather this than a axle stands.

So time to crack on with it :)