What have you done today ?

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Not Vette related, but since the CCUK being at Drive Limits in May, I've had my FTO apart. Most of the interior out, so I can remove the headlining. This allows it to go in for respray and remove all the roof rust (common issue with these cars due to the type of glue Mitsi used to hold the roof skin to the frame). That's all now been done, so whilst its all apart I've been doing lots of other bits and bobs. At the moment I've fixing the sunroof as it got all rusty on the glass frame part, and cleaning the mechanism etc so it will work. The wiper arms and other exterior trim are now shown up by the new respray, so I've removed them. I've also removed the side skirts, and other bits and bobs. So currently have bits of FTO all over the place. Next weekend I should be in a place to put the sunroof back in and test it - it moves fine now when using the manual override crank.
Still need to track down a few other squeaks and rattles whilst the car is apart.

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
Not Vette related, but since the CCUK being at Drive Limits in May, I've had my FTO apart. Most of the interior out, so I can remove the headlining. This allows it to go in for respray and remove all the roof rust (common issue with these cars due to the type of glue Mitsi used to hold the roof skin to the frame). That's all now been done, so whilst its all apart I've been doing lots of other bits and bobs. At the moment I've fixing the sunroof as it got all rusty on the glass frame part, and cleaning the mechanism etc so it will work. The wiper arms and other exterior trim are now shown up by the new respray, so I've removed them. I've also removed the side skirts, and other bits and bobs. So currently have bits of FTO all over the place. Next weekend I should be in a place to put the sunroof back in and test it - it moves fine now when using the manual override crank.
Still need to track down a few other squeaks and rattles whilst the car is apart.
Sounds like you are really going for it Captain . Post us some piccies when it`s complete as I`m sure it will look well smart . (y)

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
That’s the trouble when you have a car resprayed, it shows other bits up. Exterior trim etc, then the lights, then the wheels then possibly the interior.
Years ago I decided to get my 1960 painted. Well, all the above happened, new chrome, lights etc, then new interior, then new soft top. It was a bloody nightmare. Never again.
Then, on its first outing out, a bloody stone chip on the front panel by the badge. I was gutted.

Waynio

CCCUK Member
Well i have got more frustrated today, well last few days. All i can do is sit in my Vette for a rest as i have so much to do first before i can get the Vette going. Near finished a bathroom refit. Then to do a bit of concreting so then i can put up the garage and wiring it up and air lines, all for for the Vette. Only had it coupl6e weeks now and feels like months.
Atleast the lifters have arrived in the UK Then its putting the top end back together.

Like to see that, had a FTO years ago and loved it. Such an under rated car.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
That’s the trouble when you have a car resprayed, it shows other bits up. Exterior trim etc, then the lights, then the wheels then possibly the interior.
Years ago I decided to get my 1960 painted. Well, all the above happened, new chrome, lights etc, then new interior, then new soft top. It was a bloody nightmare. Never again.
Then, on its first outing out, a bloody stone chip on the front panel by the badge. I was gutted.
The problem I had was the roof rust - it was putting holes in the roof, so it needed fixing. Thus needing painting. And whilst they were mixing paint up, may as well fix the paint issues on the whole front end. Basically about 15 years ago I had the front end resprayed, but a few years later it all came out in tiny bubbles and the paint was thin so just fell off in places. It looked really bad. Hence saving up my pennies for the respray. But yeah, it shows up everything else now as well. I do have a limit though, as the car isn't worth much, mostly sentimental, so I don't want to spend too much on it.
Cost wise going forward, there isn't much more to buy - mostly plastic clips and screws and little bits and bobs like that.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
That’s another thing with corvettes, their parts ( excluding mechanical) are one of the most if not “ the”most expensive on the market. The market leaders have made a fortune out of them over the years, and still continue to do so.
Far far more expensive than say mustang or Camaro parts by comparison.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Like to see that, had a FTO years ago and loved it. Such an under rated car.
It certainly is a lot of fun to drive. Not amazingly quick, especially compared to Corvettes, but still a fun little blast on B-roads etc. I've had the car 20 years now, so to celebrate I thought this year would be the year I make it look pretty again.
Here she was at the CCCUK action day with Drive Limits in August 2023 (which I wrote an article about in the CCCUK newsletter). You can see some of the paint issues on the bumper, but the tiny dot bubbles all over the wings, bonnet, and bumper don't show up on camera. That and I used to keep it dirty deliberately to hide them :ROFLMAO:
20230928_161342.jpg

Waynio

CCCUK Member
It certainly is a lot of fun to drive. Not amazingly quick, especially compared to Corvettes, but still a fun little blast on B-roads etc. I've had the car 20 years now, so to celebrate I thought this year would be the year I make it look pretty again.
Here she was at the CCCUK action day with Drive Limits in August 2023 (which I wrote an article about in the CCCUK newsletter). You can see some of the paint issues on the bumper, but the tiny dot bubbles all over the wings, bonnet, and bumper don't show up on camera. That and I used to keep it dirty deliberately to hide them :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 26815
They do loo well. i cant find any of my pictures now. It was great once i fitted new lifters. It was very tappy. nice easy job though. Mine was to rotten to repair. Well it was bad, complete rear end was gone. Always fancied the big brother aswell, a GTO TT. Happier with the Vette though ;)

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
They do loo well. i cant find any of my pictures now. It was great once i fitted new lifters. It was very tappy. nice easy job though. Mine was to rotten to repair. Well it was bad, complete rear end was gone. Always fancied the big brother aswell, a GTO TT. Happier with the Vette though ;)
I always fancied a Mitsi GTO too , a fabulous looking car with performance to match . I had a Starion wide body Turbo back in the day which was a cracking car , wish I had it now as seemingly as rare as hens teeth .

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
And just to continue the theme .... ages back my uncle had a 3000GT twin turbo in LHD, which I think came from Germany, and again same car as the Mitsi GTO. I also used to go out and play in the FTO with a local jap car club back in the day, and the NON-TURBO GTO boys were always sad/shocked that my little 2 litre could keep up with their big 3 litres. Obviously the twin turbo is a different kettle of fish.

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
Sicking with the Jap theme , the 3000GT was the model I really liked but well beyond my means at the time . Likewise the Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo but that was a big step up from the Nissan Silvia Turbo I was driving at the time . That was a good car too until some stupid women T Boned me at a junction on the A508 and shoved me into a truck . Lucky to walk away from that one unscathed !!

Roscobbc

Sicking with the Jap theme , the 3000GT was the model I really liked but well beyond my means at the time . Likewise the Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo but that was a big step up from the Nissan Silvia Turbo I was driving at the time . That was a good car too until some stupid women T Boned me at a junction on the A508 and shoved me into a truck . Lucky to walk away from that one unscathed !!
My laddo (when in to Nissan/Datsun stuff) had one of those. Only 1800 sohc but being turbo it was really up for significanty increased boost. I do recall one cool evening returning from a car meet cruising quite comfortably at a gps verified 140 mph (there was a section of private road). He eventually 'moved-on' to a really ratty RWD Datsun Bluebird two door coupe (the one with a 'dog-leg' rear screen). He sourced a Jap only spec' quad cam engine for it that was effectively 4 cylinder Skyline engine and fitted a Jap aftermarket sequential shifter......with its really quiet stock looking exhaust that was fun against all the hot hatches of the day...........

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
I can tell you what I am not doing today and that`s not going to Petrolheadonism`s AdamCfest at Overstone Park , Northampton despite having bought an entry ticket and buffed up the C3 in readiness . 😭 We had a thunderstorm in the night with a deluge of biblical proportions and it`s raining now and forecast to carry on most of the day . A bit miffed to say the least but looking at wet cars in a wet field isn`t my idea of fun . Ho Hum !!

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I can tell you what I am not doing today and that`s not going to Petrolheadonism`s AdamCfest at Overstone Park , Northampton despite having bought an entry ticket and buffed up the C3 in readiness . 😭 We had a thunderstorm in the night with a deluge of biblical proportions and it`s raining now and forecast to carry on most of the day . A bit miffed to say the least but looking at wet cars in a wet field isn`t my idea of fun . Ho Hum !!

It does your head in, the weather is so unreliable and you’ve got to feel really sorry for the event organisers.

On the plus side, a bit of rain is going to make the Formula1 at Silverstone a bit interesting this weekend.….Watch that from the comfort of your home instead?!

Chuffer

CCCUK Member
It does your head in, the weather is so unreliable and you’ve got to feel really sorry for the event organisers.

On the plus side, a bit of rain is going to make the Formula1 at Silverstone a bit interesting this weekend.….Watch that from the comfort of your home instead?!
Sure do feel sorry for organisers as you say Forrest . Within a few miles of where I am currently listening to it hammering down there is the long established Hollowell Traction Engine Rally and Classic Car Show today that so often gets blighted by the weather . We also have a lot of soggy campers in a field in our village as we are only 9 miles from Silverstone Grand Prix and the Great Central Railway where I work on the locos has its Vintage Transport Gala Weekend this weekend so a real bummer all round .